Become a Pilot - Family Day & Aviation Display, at Smithsonian Udvar Hazy
AFCEA DC, our sister Chapters in the National Capital Region, & AFCEA Intl...
are proud to sponsor the 8th Annual...
FAMILY DAY & AVIATION DISPLAY
at the Smithsonian Air & Space Museum
Udvar Hazy Center, Dulles
Saturday, June 16
10:00 AM to 3:00 PM
Museum & Fly-in Admission: Free
Parking: $15/per vehicle - why not carpool?
More than 60 visiting aircraft ranging from antique/vintage to modern military, balloons to un-manned vehicles, recreational and even home-built aircraft will be on display for ONE-DAY-ONLY outside the Boeing Aviation Hangar. Pilots will be with their aircraft to answer questions, and in some cases visitors will be invited to sit in the cockpit.
Inside the Center will be an array of special activities for all ages. Visitors can learn what it takes to become a pilot, meet model airplane and unmanned vehicle experts, climb aboard flight simulators, and hear a variety of guest speakers. Many hands-on activities will be available, and even a band will be on hand to keep the crowd entertained. Even toddlers are included, with “Flights of Fancy” stories and other age-appropriate activities.
Outside the Center:
- Airplanes of many sizes, types and countries of origin
- Military aircraft, commercial aircraft, vintage aircraft, rescue aircraft, home-built aircraft
- Hot-air balloons
- Model airplane flight demos
- And pilots galore!
Inside the Center:
- Hands-on “Discovery Stations”
- Conversations with aviation experts
- Stories and projects for kids of all ages
- Flight simulators
- Pilot career information
- Observation Tower with views of jets landing at Dulles Airport
- And over 200 historic air- and spacecraft!
- Tons of Hands-on Activities & Career Presentations (10:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.)
Smithsonian Air & Space Museum's
Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center at Dulles, VA
(On Air and Space Museum Pkwy. off Rte. 28)
14390 Air and Space Museum Pkwy
Chantilly, VA 20151
Check the Smithsonian Web site at
If inclement weather prevents visiting airplanes from arriving, indoor activities will still take place.
This event is made possible by the generous support of:
AFCEA International and the AFCEA Chapters of the National Capital Region, including:
- AFCEA Belvoir
- AFCEA Bethesda
- AFCEA DC
- AFCEA NOVA
- AFCEA Quantico-Potomac
Booz Allen Hamilton
WTOP Radio 103.5 FM
Additional support provided by:
- Aircraft Owners & Pilots Association
- Fairfax County Public Schools
- Landmark Aviation
- Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority
- Signature Flight Support
Jun. 16 (Sat) 2012
from 10:00 am to 03:00 pm
|Where||Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center at Dulles, Chantilly, VA|
|Add event to calendar||
vCal (Windows, Linux)
iCal (Mac OS X)